Imagine an educational institution; be it any, whether a primary school or a high school with a lot of inquisitive minds. Needless to say, the image that appears point to a picture, where there is:
– The need to learn more in the same confined space.
– The need to update the knowledge, with the latest technology in the market.
– A centralized solution that can serve a large number of connected users.
– A technology that is Eco-friendly.
– A solution which can be established quickly across the labs, in a few days.
– Lesser hassles for the maintenance and software up-gradation.
– All of the above benefits at an affordable price, which does not burden the schools with the excessive investments.
This probably covers everything that a learning oriented and competitive school administration can ask for. Such a system, which is efficient, quick, upgradable, laden with the latest technology and environment friendly, can be related to the ‘Desktop Virtualization’. This is very viable and absolutely recommended in order to serve the constantly changing learning demands. Out of the many various options for virtualization, the newest and the relevant one is Zero Client Technology, which eliminates the need of any hardware and software at the client side.
With a number of names in the market, the next question is:
“Why is zero client suggested for schools?”
Interestingly, this is not the mere marketing statement, rather this is the complement rewarded by the number of schooling departments which have already been through the deployment of this product.
To understand further about the Zero Client’s features, let us have a look at Diana zero client.
– There is a significant reduction in the upfront cost when the Zero client replaces the existing PCs and the thin client systems.
– The usual refresh cycle of PCs, which is 3 to 5 years, is extended to 10 years. This means 10 years of maintenance free operation.
– The Diana zero clients consume extremely low amount of power, ranging between 0.2 – 5 watts, which calculates to the energy savings up to 95%.
– This is at present the most recommended Eco-friendly solution for the needs. With the elimination of client side hardware, the noise, heat dissipation and power consumption is automatically dropped to the minimum levels.
– The centralized solution makes the system free from the hassles of maintenance and constant upgrades.
– Such a system is also immune to the virus and malware threats. No client-end hardware, no virus attacks, which means no security threat.
– The desktop roaming makes it possible to login through different workstations.
– The workstation can be set up in minutes, and the complete laboratory within hours.
– The centralized set-up also makes the refresh a quick process. All the connected workstations can be configured to the same standard.
In short, with zero client, you get to learn with the newest of the technologies, with the considerable savings on time, money and energy.
Something On Performance:
This is the most important aspect of any implementation. After all, everything expected out of the technology can be assessed by its performance. To understand what is zero client capable of performing, let us again have a quick glance at the Diana zero client features:
– Working on the Diana Zero Client keeps the feeling of the computing environment same. The user is given the access to a fully powered independent virtual desktop, which is as good as a PC.
– There are absolutely no incompatibilities between the components. Diana Zero Client comes as a package including all the necessary components, and is deployed extremely easily as the true VDI solution.
– The system is capable of handling very rich graphics and multimedia. The multimedia applications can even be run on various platforms, be it Windows or Linux or a different one.
– The seamless synchronization makes the video experience rich. Use of design software like Photoshop, Illustrator and CAD is completely feasible.
The performance of Zero Client deployed so far across the various schools has been remarkably high. The learning enhanced with the technologically equipped solution has given these schools an edge over the others. With a keen eye on encouraging this competitive spirit, most of the schools have either got a fully operative zero client setup by now, or are in the process. Perhaps the new era of school desktop computing has already come.